Directions and Local Attractions
Fortunate View Summer Home is located at 6 Madison Lane in Bay Fortune, Prince Edward Island, overlooking the Fortune River and Bay Fortune Harbour on Route 340. Follow the directions below to find us from the Confederation Bridge, Wood Islands Ferry and Charlottetown Airport.
Directions to the cottage
From the Bridge
From the Airport
From the Ferry
History Of the Area
Fortunate View Summer Home is located in Bay Fortune, Prince Edward Island, which provides a rich history in farming, fishing, shipbuilding, and so much more. A busy mercantile hub for many years, Bay Fortune, was home to the Acadians with the French settlement represented by a monument that still remains today. Nearby Abell’s Cape was home to an actors colony in the early 1900s. To learn more about the history of Bay Fortune, Prince Edward Island, click here.
Additional history can be found in the book “The Road to Fortune” written by Adam’s mother, local historian and author Bonita “Bonnie” Aitken-Townshend.
Fortunate View Summer Home is within a minutes walk to Fortune “front” beach and a minutes drive to Fortune “back” beach. Both beaches provide beautiful white sand with offerings of driftwood, sea glass, shells and sand dollars as well as the radiant blue salt water of the Northumberland Strait for swimming. Surrounded by red soil cliffs and marram grass in the dunes, the beaches provide an opportunity to rest and relax while enjoying the sun and fresh eastern PEI air.
Fortunate View Summer Home is minutes away from:
- The Inn at Bay Fortune, which features a 5-star feast-style dining experience at their Fireworks restaurant
- Local kayak, canoe and paddle board rentals at Paddles on the Fortune River
- PEI seaglass jewelry handcrafted by local artisan Teri Hall
- Confederation Trail
- Points East Costal Trail and destinations
- Town of Souris which offers a variety of artisan shops, local restaurants, grocery stores, banks, coffee shops, gas stations, pharmacies, fitness centre, yoga and wellness studio and so much more
- Souris Beach Gateway Park
- Basin Head Provincial Park, named the best beach in Canada since 2013
- Basin Head Fisheries Museum
- Historic lighthouses in Souris and at East Point
- Elmira Railway Museum
- Local tuna charters
- Many golf courses
- Greenwich National Park
- Local ceilidhs and entertainment
- Hospital with emergency services
- …and so much more!